Today on the Disrupt Yourself Podcast, our guest is Dr. David Peterson. David has been the Director of Leadership and Coaching at Google since 2011, Chief Transformation Officer at 7 Paths Forward, one of the original members of the Marshall Goldsmith 100, and one of the most influential coaches in the world.
When you want to learn a new skill or level up – especially in sports – the first thing you do is find a coach. And in the world of leadership and personal development, it’s the same. One of the fastest ways for us to slingshot forward is to have someone help us see our blind spots, both the good, and the bad, and a coach can help us do that.
David is deeply committed to making the lives of his clients better. And though he is renowned for his work as a coach, it was surprising to learn that in his drive to help people become better learners, he doesn't really describe himself as a coach. He uses coaching as a tool, but at the end of the day, David is committed to using whatever it takes to develop the leaders he works with and their needs in that moment and in the future.
Join us as we discuss David's background and philosophies on leadership, the DNA of VUCA, and why he only listens to music that has come out in the past six months.
Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- David B. Peterson – LinkedIn
- 7 Paths Forward
- Development First: Strategies for Self-Development by David B. Peterson
- Leader As Coach: Strategies for Coaching & Developing Others by David B. Peterson
- This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin
- Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work by Chip & Dan Heath
- Mindset: Changing The Way You Think To Fulfil Your Potential by Carol S. Dweck
- Journey to Mastery – WBECS