Mindsets are foundational to everything we do. Improving our mindsets can improve our success across life, work, and leadership. Our guest today Ryan Gottfredson, Ph.D., takes us on a deep dive into the power of mindsets. In his book, Success Mindsets: Your Keys to Unlocking Greater Success in Your Life, Work and Leadership, Ryan blends the latest in mindset research and practice to present the most comprehensive mindset framework to date.
Ryan is a mental success coach and cutting-edge leadership consultant, author, trainer, and researcher. He helps improve organizations, leaders, teams, and employees by improving their mindsets. Ryan is currently a leadership and management professor at the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics at California State University-Fullerton (CSUF). He holds a Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources from Indiana University, and a B.A. from Brigham Young University.
In this episode, Ryan exposes how the lens in which we view the world impacts our mindset and walks us through four main mindsets.
- Growth Mindset: Believe that you and others can change abilities, talents, and intelligence.
- Open Mindset: Seek truth and optimal thinking.
- Promotion Mindset: Have a clear purpose and destination that you are shooting toward.
- Outward Mindset: See other as people of great worth and value them as such.
Journey with us as Ryan exposes how the lens in which we view the world impacts our mindset and explains how we can adopt a better way of showing up in the world.
Listen to the episode in the player below or download and enjoy it on Apple Podcasts. If you are so inclined, please leave us a review!
- How we see the world shapes how we behave in the world.
- We can do all of the right things, but if we do not have the right motives, the right mindsets, our teams / followers will see through us and our actions will not have the outcomes we desire.
- When we have an inward mindset, we see ourselves as being more important than others, thus causing us to see others as objects. But if we have an outward mindset, we see others as being just as important as ourselves… their needs and wants matter just as much as our own.
- With a prevention mindset, our primary focus is on avoiding problems. However, when we have a promotion mindset, our primary focus is on, on wins and getting towards a destination
- Lean toward a higher order mindset and the change in thinking will show up in your life:
- Instead of a desire to look good, we should have a desire to learn and grow.
- Instead of a desire to be right, we should have a desire to find truth and think optimally.
- Instead of a desire to avoid problems, we should have a desire to reach goals.
- Instead of a desire to get ahead, we should have a desire to lift others.
- Ryan Gottfredson – Website | LinkedIn | Instagram
- Success Mindsets: Your Keys to Unlocking Greater Success in Your Life, Work and Leadership by Ryan Gottfredson
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 96: Live Coaching Episode with Ryan Gottfredson
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol S. Dweck Ph.D.