Regardless of where we are on that S curve of learning – the launch point, the sweet spot, the high end – and regardless of who we are, we need to take up arms and battle our sense of entitlement.
What does it mean to battle entitlement? This accelerant of disruption can be a curve killer. But if we can wage and win our battle against it, then it becomes the biggest booster. It becomes the most important and powerful of the seven accelerants.
We are talking all about why it's so critical that we learn to battle entitlement all along our individual S curve of learning, as well as discussing three specific kinds of entitlement, cultural, intellectual and emotional entitlement, and their antidotes. We will then ask the bigger question, which is – why? Why is it so important that we set aside our ego, that we battle entitlement in order to climb the S curve of learning?
There is so much here – including my current thinking on this topic. I hope you'll take a walk around the block on one of your breaks today and listen to the episode in the player below, or download and enjoy it on Apple Podcasts. If you’re so inclined, please leave us a review!
Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 80: Disrupt Your Self Today
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 100: Take the Right Kinds of Risks
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 120: Play to Your Distinctive Strengths
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 140: Embrace Constraints
- Disrupt Yourself: Master Relentless Change and Speed Up Your Learning Curve by Whitney Johnson
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 105: Paul Hill
- What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by Marshall Goldsmith
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 33: Luvvie Ajayi
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 147: Tom Rath
- Emmanuel Levinas quotes
- Writing to Change the World by Mary Pipher
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- David McCullough, Jr. – Wellesely High School Commencement Speech: You Are Not Special
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 92: Donna Hicks
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 103: Tasha Eurich
- The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 151: Michael Bungay Stanier
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 102: Liz Wiseman
- Disrupt Yourself Podcast – Episode 143: Simon Sinek